Recording of new works for piano and orchestra by Thérèse Brenet with the Polish National Radio Symphony, Katowice, Poland, 2018
Syrinx: XXII: Tour of the Northeastern US Concerts in New York and elsewhere.
Tenri Cultural Institute, March 18, 2018 at 3 PM, presented by The Leschetizky Association
Other dates and venues TBA.
• Solo Recital at The American Church in Paris - Sunday, April 23, 2017
• Lincoln Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium - February 25, 2017
• Fundraiser for the Blandford Historical Society, Massachusetts - July 17, 2016
• Performance at the World Wind Festival in Visakhapatnam - December 3, 2016
• Masterclass at the Academy of Music, Poona - November 28, 2016
• Concert for the Poona Music Society in Mazda Hall - November 27, 2016
• Masterclass for students in Bangalore - November 26, 2016
• Concert in Bangalore for the International Music and Arts Society at the Alliance Française - November 25, 2016
• Concert at the Alliance Française in Chandigarh - November 22, 2016
• Concert for the Delhi Music Society at the Delhi School of Music - November 19, 2016
• Concert at Ashoka University - November 17, 2016
• Concert Piano Man Jazz Club in Delhi - November 15, 2016
• Masterclass at the Bridge Academy of Music in Delhi - November 13, 2016
• Annual lecture recital, at the Barnard College, New York - July 14, 2016
• Teaching at Pianophoria Hunter College, New York - July 6 - 12, 2016
• Solo Recital at The American Church in Paris - April 17, 2016
• Solo Recital at West Center Church, Bronxville, New York - April 3, 2016
• Solo Recital at Lincoln Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium - February 20, 2016
• Alumni Concert at Pomona College for 100th anniversary of the auditorium - February 12 2016
• Judging and Performing at MusiQuest,Poona Academy of Music, India-November 18 - 22, 2015
• Chamber Music Recital with SYRINX : XXII at the Centro Cultural de Belém in Lisbon, Portugal - April 24, 2015
• Solo Recital at The American Church in Paris - April 12, 2015
• Chamber Music Recital with SYRINX : XXII at Saint Peter's Church, New York - March 24, 2015
• Solo Recital at Lincoln Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium - February 21, 2015
• Solo Recital at West Center Church, Bronxville, New York - February 15th, 2015
• Solo Recital at The American Church in Paris - April 27, 2014
• Chamber Music Recital with SYRINX : XXII at Saint Peter’s Church, New York - April 8, 2014
• Chamber Music Recital with SYRINX : XXII at West Center Church, Bronxville, New York - April 6, 2014
• Solo Recital at Lincoln Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium - February 1, 2014
• Solo Recital at Anderson House, Washington, DC - May 11, 2013
• Solo Recital at Saint Peter’s Church, New York - April 16, 2013
• Solo Recital at The American Church in Paris - April 7, 2013
• Solo Recital at West Center Church, Bronxville, New York - March 10, 2013
• Solo Recital in Pune, India for the Poona Music Society - December 16, 2012
• Masterclasses at the Poona Music Academy, Pune, India - December 13 - 15, 2012
• Masterclass in Bangalore, India - December 2, 2012
• Solo Recital in Bangalore, India - December 1, 2012
• Lincoln Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium - November 17, 2012
• Solo Recital at BRIK Gallery, Catskill, New York - November 3, 2012
• Solo Recital at Saint Peter’s Church, New York - March 20, 2012
• Solo Recital in Delhi, India - December 14, 2011
• Solo Recital in Pune, India for the Poona Music Society - December 11, 2011
• Tour of Argentina and Uruguay with the Long Island Symphonic Choral Association - Summer, 2011
• American Church in Paris - May 1, 2011
• Lincoln Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium — Solo Recital - March 6, 2011
• American Church in Paris — Solo Recital, works by Beethoven, Brenet, Ravel, and Chopin - April 11, 2010
• Saint Peter’s Church, New York — Solo Recital, works by Beethoven, Brenet, Ravel, and Chopin - March 2, 2010
• Tenri Cultural Institute, New York — Voice and Piano Recital with Katherine Ciesinski, presented by The Leschetizky Association - January 10, 2010
• Lincoln Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium - March, 2009
Raj Bhimani plays
Prelude from Gottes Zeit ist
die Allerbeste Zeit
Raj Bhimani plays
Preludes, Book I, Voiles
Raj Bhimani plays
Intermezzo in E-flat Major,
Opus 117, No. 1
Raj Bhimani plays
Océanides, Etude for the Left Hand
Late Piano Pieces
Raj Bhimani, piano
To the West Wind
A Recital of French Piano Music
Thérèse Brenet - Maurice Ravel -
Raj Bhimani, piano
& members of the Paris Virtuosi
Sonata in B-FLat Major
Six Moments Musicaux
Raj Bhimani, piano
Pianist Raj Bhimani’s concerts are “virtuosic, heartfelt and eloquent,” writes New York Times critic Michael Kimmelman. Time Out NY noted him as being a “gifted and highly expressive pianist.” Performing regularly across North America and Europe, he also makes frequent appearances in India, where the nationally distributed newspaper The Hindu wrote, “Raj Bhimani is a very sensitive piano player, with a predilection for lyrical melody accompanied with rhythmic gracefulness.” In New York, where he resides, he appears often at Lincoln Center and other venues.
Mr. Bhimani is a champion of new music and has developed a particular expertise in French piano literature. During his time studying in Paris he had the opportunity to meet composer Henri Dutilleux, who declared him “a great artist who plays with sensitivity and intelligence.” 2016 marks the 100th anniversary of that composer’s birth, and his music will figure prominently in Mr. Bhimani’s programs this year. Handwritten manuscripts of the Preludes on this year’s solo recitals were given to Mr. Bhimani by the composer, before these works were published.
Another prominent French composer, Thérèse Brenet, has written six works especially for Mr. Bhimani. Two of Ms. Brenet’s compositions for Mr. Bhimani can be heard on a CD entitled “To the West Wind,” on the Delatour label. A disc containing Schubert’s B-flat Sonata and Moments Musicaux has also been issued on Delatour. Two more works Ms. Brenet wrote for Mr. Bhimani were issued in 2014 on a disc entitled “Le Visionnaire,” released by Musik Fabrik, which has also released a recording of late solo works by Brahms. All these recordings are available worldwide on iTunes, Amazon, and numerous other sites.
In addition to solo recitals, Mr. Bhimani also performs with Syrinx : XXII, a group he formed with musicians from Portugal. The ensemble performs regularly in New York and Portugal and has earned notice from composers: their second commission, a work by Carlos Marecos, is in preparation at this time and will be premiered in April in Lisbon.
Frequently sought after as a teacher and pedagogue, Mr. Bhimani is known for guiding students from their first encounters with a piano up to concert level performances. His students have earned numerous prizes and have been heard in performance at Carnegie Hall, Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center, and other esteemed venues in New York and across the United States. He is a frequent judge and lecturer on piano pedagogy and serves on the board of The Leschetizky Association, an organization committed to upholding the great pedagogue’s ideals of beautiful tone production and musical integrity. Mr. Bhimani is grateful to his own teachers: John Steele Ritter, Peter Hewitt, Nicole Henriot-Schweitzer, Claude Frank, and Seymour Bernstein.
“Raj Bhimani is a gifted pianist whose programs are very well thought out and executed. Raj's professionalism and attention to detail make it a pleasure to work with him. He is an expert in French piano literature who delights his audiences playing with tremendous passion and emotion. Mr. Bhimani is truly an asset to any concert series.”
Cheryl Raymond, Program Specialist, Library for the Performing Arts
Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center, 40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, New York 10023
“Raj Bhimani has that rare ability of allowing music to play through him. His deeply poetic performances ‘stir the innermost regions of the soul.’ ”
“un grand musicien qui joue avec beaucoup de sensibilité et d’intelligence.”
“a great musician who plays with much sensitivity and intelligence.”
I have downloaded two of your Cd's and play them often. You are a marvel.
"J'ai été d'abord très impressionnée par le jeu à la fois lumineux et contrasté de Raj Bhimani, par son toucher délicat et son tempérament sensible. J'ai donc, à quatre reprises écrit pour lui et je ne l'ai pas regretté, bien au contraire, J'ai été aussi très frappée par son aptitude rare à ressentir presque spontanément et à interpréter la musique du XXIe siècle et je suis heureuse de penser que les œuvres que j'ai écrites pour lui et que je lui ai confiées, sont si largement mises en valeur à travers le monde."
“I was immediately impressed by the playing of Raj Bhimani, both luminous and full of contrast, and by his delicate touch and sensitive spirit. Four times I composed for him, and I did not come to regret it; on the contrary, I was struck by his unusual ability to spontaneously grasp and interpret 21st-century music. I'm happy to know that the works I've written for and entrusted to him are being presented in their best light around the world.”
SYRINX : XXII
The remarkable synergy of three outstanding musicians, each bringing to the stage his own point of view and expertise. With a vast array of flutes of all kinds and sizes - a veritable pan-pipe or Syrinx - a new approach to music and programming thinking forward to the 22nd Century is forged: unrestrained, creative, collaborative, and always at the highest artistic level.
With the recorder player António Carrilho bringing a specialization in the baroque and pre-baroque as well as the avant-garde, the flutist Katharine Rawdon, whose repertoire centers on the modern but reaches back through the 19th Century to the baroque, and the New York pianist Raj Bhimani, bringing a sensitivity for the Romantic and French repertoire, the stage is set for a combustive mix and the pure delight of the senses.
Syrinx : XXII had its premier concert in Manhattan in April of 2014. Its recent concert at the largest festival in Lisbon, the Dias da Música, was sold out and an invitation to return next season was immediately issued. They’ve also performed on and been interviewed by the national radio in Portugal.
Syrinx : XXII: Highlights from 2014 concert at Saint Peter's Church in New York
Therese Brenet: Lynx, for flute and piano, Katharine Rawdon, flute; Raj Bhimani, piano